Why Natural Gas
Natural Gas consistently gives consumers the best bang for their energy buck.
Natural gas is a clean, safe, and reliable solution. Here’s why:
- For the past 10 years, while the cost of living has gone up, natural gas rates have remained low.
- Using natural gas to heat your home and water and saves up to $2,200 a year, compared to the costs of electricity, oil, or propane.
- Natural gas is the cleanest conventional fuel. Gas produces 45 per cent less carbon dioxide than coal, with fewer greenhouse emissions than other fuels. Natural gas uses less fuel to get the job done. Improved appliance efficiency means gas consumption has actually dropped by 40 per cent in the past 40 years even though the number of natural gas customers has climbed steadily.
- Natural gas is abundant. Discoveries of new reserves in unconventional rock formations like shale have expanded our supply to well beyond 100 years.
- Natural gas is efficient. Some 90% of natural gas’ energy value is delivered directly to consumers.
- Natural gas is versatile. It generates electricity, runs our manufacturing plants, provides raw material for a range of products, heats and cools our homes and fuels transportation. It provides low-emission backup generation for renewable sources like solar and wind.
- Natural gas is needed. Natural gas currently meets about one-fourth of North America’s energy needs. And we have the capacity to serve even greater demand as natural gas is increasingly called upon as a clean alternative for both power generation and transportation.
Sources: https://www.uniongas.com/environment/the-natural-choice, https://www.uniongas.com/residential/products-services/why-choose-natural-gas
Due to Measurement Canada’s requirement, we exchange approximately 450 installed gas meters for recertification each year.